Design was completed in 2015, and a construction contract awarded to Wildcat Construction at the end of 2015. Construction is underway and is anticipated to be completed in summer 2017. Phasing of construction will require road closures and detours to reconstruct portions of the roadway. Notices of pending closures and detours will be provided as appropriate.
Reopening of West Leg and Closure of East Leg of Space Village Rd and Marksheffel Rd Intersection - Construction of the west leg of the Space Village Intersection has been completed and reopened to traffic. The east leg of the intersection and the section of Space Village Road between the Space Village Intersection and SH 94 is now closed to construct the eastern half of the intersection and the roadway between PAFB gate and Space Village. Traffic will be detoured to SH 94. Space village traffic from the west may access Marksheffel but the through movement across the intersection will be closed until the intersection is completed. During this period, the northbound to westbound movement onto Space Village will be precluded. This movement will be detoured to the SH 94 intersection. Completion of this portion will depend on ongoing utility relocations and weather, but is expected to continue at least through the end of the year.
None at this time. Please check back for updates.
The proposed improvements are broken into four zones:
- Zone 1 – US 24 to Peterson Air Force Base (PAFB) east gate – this section will be reconstructed to 4 lanes with auxiliary lanes and signal modifications at the intersections.
- Zone 2 - PAFB east gate to Drennan – this section will be reconstructed as a 2 lane section with shoulders. Portions of this section will follow the existing roadway, and portions will follow a new alignment that will eliminate the sharp horizontal curves, and improve the vertical profile, resulting in an increase in the overall safety along this stretch. The north leg of the Drennan Road intersection will be reconfigured accordingly.
- Zone 3 – This zone picks up at the end of the existing 4 lane section south of Bradley and extends to the future Mesa Ridge Parkway connection. This section will be constructed as a 2 lane section with a continuous center turn lane and shoulders.
- Zone 4 – Extends from the future Mesa Ridge Parkway connection to Link Rd/C&S intersection – This section will remain a 2 lane section but will be reconstructed to add shoulders and to reconfigure the severe horizontal curve just east of the Link Rd/C&S intersection. This zone is being constructed in conjunction with the capital project but is being funded with PPRTA maintenance funds.
View proposed improvements map
Construction Activities Underway
- Utility Relocations
- Clearing & Grubbing operations
- Installation of Drainage structures and culverts
- Earthwork and grading operations
- Manhole adjustments
- Potholing operations
- Road construction in Zones 3 &4 - Construction in zones 3 and 4 have resulted in a narrowing of the travel lanes and a reduced speed limit through the construction zone.
- Road construction for Zones 2A and 2B will commence in May with extended Road Closure between Drennan Rd and PAFB East Gate.
El Paso County, WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, AECOM, Wildcat Construction
Key Stakeholders include City of Fountain, City of Colorado Springs, CDOT, Peterson Air Force Base
Property Acquisition 2014-2016
The Marksheffel South project was originally envisioned as a capacity improvement project that would widen the roadway from 2 lanes to 4 lanes. Learn more »