Design was completed in 2015, and a construction contract awarded to Wildcat Construction at the end of 2015. Construction is underway and is anticipated to be completed in summer 2017. Phasing of construction will require road closures and detours to reconstruct portions of the roadway. Notices of pending closures and detours will be provided as appropriate.
Marksheffel Road will be closed between Drennan Road and the Peterson Air Force Base (PAFB) East Gate beginning May 9, 2016. This 3.5 mile section of Marksheffel Road will be closed to remove the old road and reconstruct the new roadway. Traffic will be detoured around this closed section via Bradley Road and Powers Blvd. Access to and from PAFB East Gate will be maintained from the north. The road will remain closed until the construction of the new roadway is completed, currently anticipated to be around September 9, 2016. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we construct the new roadway.
Print Detour Map
The proposed improvements are broken into four zones:
- Zone 1 – US 24 to Peterson Air Force Base (PAFB) east gate – this section will be reconstructed to 4 lanes with auxiliary lanes and signal modifications at the intersections.
- Zone 2 - PAFB east gate to Drennan – this section will be reconstructed as a 2 lane section with shoulders. Portions of this section will follow the existing roadway, and portions will follow a new alignment that will eliminate the sharp horizontal curves, and improve the vertical profile, resulting in an increase in the overall safety along this stretch. The north leg of the Drennan Road intersection will be reconfigured accordingly.
- Zone 3 – This zone picks up at the end of the existing 4 lane section south of Bradley and extends to the future Mesa Ridge Parkway connection. This section will be constructed as a 2 lane section with a continuous center turn lane and shoulders.
- Zone 4 – Extends from the future Mesa Ridge Parkway connection to Link Rd/C&S intersection – This section will remain a 2 lane section but will be reconstructed to add shoulders and to reconfigure the severe horizontal curve just east of the Link Rd/C&S intersection. This zone is being constructed in conjunction with the capital project but is being funded with PPRTA maintenance funds.
View proposed improvements map
Construction Activities Underway
- Utility Relocations
- Clearing & Grubbing operations
- Installation of Drainage structures and culverts
- Earthwork and grading operations
- Manhole adjustments
- Potholing operations
- Road construction in Zones 3 &4 - Construction in zones 3 and 4 have resulted in a narrowing of the travel lanes and a reduced speed limit through the construction zone.
- Road construction for Zones 2A and 2B will commence in May with extended Road Closure between Drennan Rd and PAFB East Gate.
El Paso County, WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, AECOM, Wildcat Construction
Key Stakeholders include City of Fountain, City of Colorado Springs, CDOT, Peterson Air Force Base
Property Acquisition 2014-2016
The Marksheffel South project was originally envisioned as a capacity improvement project that would widen the roadway from 2 lanes to 4 lanes. Learn more »